Envision a community where every child graduates from high school, the crime and poverty rates are the lowest in the nation, a skilled workforce fosters a thriving economy, and the lively arts and culture environment is second to none. We do!
Literacy Connects was founded on the belief that by working together we can create the kind of community in which we all want to live.
- learning, creativity and opportunities for all
- adults with the educational support and services they need
- schools, libraries and neighborhoods
- volunteers with young students reading below grade level
- children with their own voices, stories and creativity
- doctors with their communities
- and so much more!
Literacy is not just the ability to read and write — it is the bedrock upon which each of us builds our lives. Today and in the future, learners must develop a range of literacy skills and strategies to be able to acquire, create, and communicate information. Literacy Connects is committed to offering learning opportunities for a wide-range of individuals in our community, from birth through adulthood, reading to computer skills, English acquisition to artistic self-expression.
Since I learned to read, I feel like I have moved from a dark cloudy world to a whole new Technicolor place that is bright with possibilities.
— Literacy Volunteers Basic Literacy Student
- to your own learning and educational goals
- to creativity and imagination
- to the community you live in, and
- to the community you envision!
Join us to improve literacy and together we’ll create a community in which everyone can flourish.
“Literacy is inseparable from opportunity, and opportunity is inseparable from freedom. The freedom promised by literacy is both freedom from – from ignorance, oppression, poverty – and freedom to – to do new things, to make choices, to learn.” ~Koïchiro Matsuura