Be an English Language Acquisition for Adults Tutor! Teach or assist in an English Language class for immigrant and refugee adults using an interactive team approach. Tutoring happens at various times throughout the week at schools, libraries and churches around Tucson.
- Requirements: Info Session, background check, 12 hours of initial training, plus 6 hours of continuing tutor education each year. Must be 18.
- Commitment: Minimum 9 months. Classes meet twice weekly for 1.5-2 hours. Sessions run 8-14 weeks.
Volunteers are the heart and soul of our programs. All of our tutors are volunteers, and they provide almost all direct contact with students. Volunteers come from many different backgrounds and experiences.
How to join our family of volunteer tutors:
- Step 1: Attend a Literacy Connects Info Session. (Click here for schedule)
- Step 2: Complete the volunteer application and sign the policies and procedures you receive at your info session.
- Step 3: Click here to complete your background check. (If you have a fingerprint card, you may submit a copy instead.)
- Step 4: Schedule and attend a tutor training (Click here for upcoming dates and times)
After attending an Info Session and deciding to become a tutor, sign up (you must preregister) for training. Cost is $65, which helps cover the expense of training, background checks and materials. Scholarships are available.
During the training, you will be matched with your student or class assignment.
You may use our extensive library for materials, and our staff is available during office hours to answer questions. We have copiers you can use and offer ongoing learning sessions to help you better assist your students.
Other organizations interested in providing tutoring are encouraged to contact us about training. Our fee for training a non-Literacy Connects volunteer is $100.
Do you live outside of Tucson and want to volunteer? The National Literacy Directory is a great resource.