Each year, Reading Seed Coaches work one-one-one with struggling readers in elementary schools throughout Pima Country during the school day. You can help!
If you believe that every child deserves to have books at home and the support they need to learn to read, please help us recruit additional volunteers.
Click here to register for a Volunteer Orientation.
What is a Reading Coach?
Reading Coaches work with students in kindergarten through fifth grade who are reading below grade level. Their job is to make reading fun so students become independent readers who are excited about what they can learn!
- Requirements: All volunteers must attend a Literacy Connects Orientation, pass a background check and fingerprint clearance, and attend 8.5 hours of foundations training, plus a minimum of 2 hours of ongoing professional development. Volunteers must also be 18 or over.
- Commitment: Approximately two hours per week for the duration of the school year.
- Training Fee: We ask volunteers to contribute $45 towards the training fee. If you are unable to pay this fee, please do not let that deter you from participating. Contact our Director of Basic Literacy Programs, Edie Lantz-Leppert at email@example.com to discuss a discounted or waived rate.
We will provide more specific information about our program at the Literacy Connects Orientation. All training takes place at Literacy Connects, located at 200 E. Yavapai Rd.
How to Become a Coach
- Step 1: Attend a Literacy Connects Orientation. Click on the “Volunteer” tab above to sign up for available dates.
- Step 2: Register for a New Coach Training. Click here to view dates and register. A confirmation email will be sent.
- Step 3: Conduct an electronic background check before your training date. Click here to begin now. Follow the onscreen instructions and do not worry about printing any information out afterwards.
- Step 4: You will be sent a reminder email from JDennes@literacyconnects.org that also contains short video to watch prior to your training.
- Step 5: Attend your New Coach Training with a valid state ID, your $45 training fee, and a fingerprint clearance card (if you have one).
Questions? Please call us at 520-882-8006. Reading Seed is open Monday through Friday, 9 am till 5 pm. We’d love to hear from you!
Please join us in helping the children of Pima County learn to read!