About the Program
Reading Seed (est. 1995) recruits and trains volunteer reading coaches to work one-on-one with students in kindergarten through third grade who are reading below grade level. We distribute free books to children and offer a leveled lending library for coaches, teachers and other literacy providers with books that match K-12 students’ interests and reading ability.
Reading Seed supports elementary schools and students by:
- Recruiting and training volunteer reading coaches to work with students in K–5th grade who are reading below grade level.
- Emphasizing reading as a positive experience in a non-judgmental environment.
- Increasing confidence, vocabulary, fluency and reading comprehension in students.
- Delivering high interest, low reading level literacy resources from our Lending Library to schools for Reading Coaches and teachers.
- Providing free books for students to encourage independent reading.
All Reading Seed Coaches are trained, fingerprinted, and have a background check completed prior to being placed at a school. Reading Seed also provides continuing professional development for coaches, as well as free materials and incentives to help keep the learning process fun and relevant for students.